Main menu

Pages

Do yoga at Golden Gate Park and Baker Beach for a new feeling of gratitude

Einglish

Amidst the scattered midday fog, Hillman Hollow’s Golden Gate Park is dotted with people practicing their frisbee skills and dogs chasing balls thrown by their human companions.

Nearby, another group is preparing for a different kind of practice: about a dozen yoga practitioners gather, open their sticky mats, have light chats, and don “silent disco” headphones.

And just like in the studio, once the music starts, the sounds of dogs barking and city life fade away, and the practice begins.

Outdoor yoga offers a variety of mindful movement classes for all levels of practitioners. Experienced teachers lead the class through yoga movements set to spiritual music. Headphones give you the power to control the volume of the outside world and still find your personal space. With choices from dynamic yoga practice to gym yoga sessions to fun groove classes, there are opportunities to find an outdoor class to suit everyone’s style.

Yoga is offered at various locations across the city, including Baker Beach, the Ferry Promenade, Hillman Hollow, and The Ritz-Carlton Courtyard—plus another location in Auckland’s Lake Timiscal. Each venue gives participants options close to home in an urban landscape that may feel more comfortable and relaxing than if they were in a studio.

Outdoor yoga at Golden Gate Park. Courtesy Outdoor Yoga

While practicing outdoor yoga at Nat Kendall, I can’t help but laugh at the occasional excited dog ripping through the grass in the distance as I follow Kendall’s voice in my ear (and his physical presence in front of our small group). The misty breeze blows my hair. I forgot why at first I thought I was too busy to take a break in my day and head to the park for class.

“Practicing outdoor yoga gives you a way to re-establish your connection to the city,” says Julian Aiello, founder of outdoor yoga. “Nature has a magical effect in bringing you into the present moment. You are immersed in nature, you move your body, and you notice the beauty around you. It’s almost like bringing back that feeling of infinite potential in a place you love.”

After yoga in the studio was discontinued during the pandemic, many people are still baffled by taking indoor studio classes — myself included. And while the one-on-one practice at home via the screen is certainly comforting, I know I missed the group camaraderie.

I take my simplicity on a short trip through the park and a 65-minute lesson an opportunity to squeeze pause into my day and remember the sense of magic I first felt as a child in Golden Gate Park.

Born out of a love of freedom and an embrace of natural beauty, Aiello began outdoor yoga in 2010. Her intention to create a safe space outside studio walls for yoga practice has expanded to guide people toward flourishing — a life full of meaning, growth, connection, and resilience — through classes, workshops, and retreats. . She teaches some outdoor yoga classes but has also brought together a group of inspiring instructors from all over the Bay Area to add their voice and style to the various training options available.

At first, I thought I’d have trouble keeping my “silent disco” headphones on while training. I shouldn’t be worried. It adapts to fit well and has the effect of connecting you to the music and energy of the group.

see also


Buoyed by my experience in the park, my sister and I strode across the sand at Baker Beach on a perfect fall evening a week later, approaching a string of colorful prayer flags and a handful of people arranging yoga mats in rows. Over the next 10 minutes, this group grows to over 30 – mats are strewn across the sand with plenty of space in between.

Outdoor yoga at Baker Beach. Courtesy Outdoor Yoga

Before training begins, we chat, snap pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge and gleaming sunsets over the Pacific Ocean, and gaze at the clumps of sand under the mats. And then, the music starts in our headphones.

For the next hour, Kirin Power leads an outdoor Groove Yoga workout that allows us to de-stress, enjoy the gift of mobility and breathe deeply on a beach still warm from the sun. To the combined soundtrack of rocking music and choppy waves, we’re flowing through a rhythmic workout that pauses for occasional dance breaks.

Before I came to class, I was worried about the traffic and whether parking would be easy. During yoga, I look around in awe at the beauty of this wonderful place where I live, and I am so fortunate to be able to spend the week in such a blissful way.


outdoor yogaClass schedule and rates are found in website. Prices for individual classes range from $29 to $33, and class packages are available in 2, 5, and 10 increments. Unlimited membership gives participants the opportunity to attend 7 classes each week, on a monthly basis. In addition, the Business Trade Exchange allows people to exchange time and energy to support free and unlimited yoga classes.

Einglish

Questions, comments or concerns about this article can be sent to [email protected]

Commentaires